Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Question for You!

I know there are many of you who read, but choose not to leave a comment...normally, I don't care, but I would like your input on this one! :) I have to make a decision quick about letting our boys be in the same class together next year for 2nd grade or not. The past two years they have been in seperate classrooms, but right across the hall in K & next~door in 1st. One has struggled a bit with being apart from his brother, but, all in all they do fine. I mainly did it so they would branch out, make their own friends, become more social, yada yada yada.....Well, it hasn't changed anything. They're still joined at the hip & each others' best friend, which is fine...and thus my dilemna. 2nd Grade is going to be harder...more homework, spelling tests, math tests, more reading/writing etc. I'm truly thinking about letting them be in the same classroom. The school is letting me decide...yikes! If it doesn't work, we can split them after school starts....I'm just wondering if with all of the changes coming up with the addition of baby sister....it may be easier on me. Seriously, I know it sounds selfish. But, I can spend more time with 2 on the same things that splitting my time between homeworks, etc. What do you think???? Anyone a teacher? Had twins in your classroom before??? I need to let the Asst. Principal know this week...no pressure.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Good questions! I am an identical twin, and we started out in the same class for Kindergarten, and then split from there. Our parents thought it would be best for us. Second grade was a real turnning point for us. We probably just matured, but we really began to branch out from that point. Our parents did always push that our classes were close enough in the hall that we were at recess together and took field trips at the same time. It really helped that we saw one another at lunch and recess.
As far as being best friends, we are 30 and still talk on the phone 3 or 4 times a day. We are still connected at the hip, and I love it that way.

Good luck! Your boys will do fine either way I am sure.

Heidi

Bill, Paula & Will Cook said...

Now that they are seven, I think I'd let them choose. They know the pros and cons, and if they think they'd like it better, give it a go. It's a plus that it would be easier on you. It's probably a little easier on them too - they can help one another along, which sounds like one of the great parts of having a sibling, right? :)

Dawn said...

Marvin is a teacher, and he really thinks that it depends on the boys. When they are together, are they mature enough to not want to play together and do their work. But I say that a mother knows best. How do they put forth their best effort? Does one want to help the other or do they end up just playing.
Very hard decision, but I know that you will make the right one.
Christina

Kim said...

Being a former teacher myself, it really does depend on the kids. I agree with Christina and Paula. If you think they work together well, and don't get each other in trouble, then I would let them choose. YOu will be fine either way. that is nice of the school to let you choose, many will not, they just wouldn't let them be together.

Willis said...

I've taught for 9 years, half in middle school and half of my time in elementary. I believe it would be fine to let them be in the same room. At our school, most twins are in the same classroom. It does make it much easier on the parents because the kids have the same assignments/ homework, etc. You are certainly not selfish. You do have another little one coming into your life, and soon life will be more hectic than it is now. It only makes sense to let them be in the same class if the school is letting you choose.

Heather (Rocco's mom)